Wednesday, November 09, 2005

the sick poetry of it all

for as long as i can remember i have been deathly afraid of snakes. i can kill a spider. i might swear at the sight of a roach or a mouse, but i get over it. no creature has evoked the kind of fear the snake has caused me to have. and the fear was highlighted and, now, exaggerated this morning.

as i stepped out of bed this morning, instead of stepping on the nice, soft carpet, i placed my foot on a snake. i jumped back into bed not knowing what my foot had come into contact with--what had just bitten me. as i looked over the side of the bed like a child looking for monsters, i saw a snake curled up in fight mode. i freaked out--quite the understatement. i yelled and screamed and called with all my might. i heard my mom yell up, "lindsay?" "MOM, MOM, MOM!!!" "what? what's going on?" she yelled back. "SNAKE!!! SNAKE!!! SNAKE!!!" "well, get out of there!" i jumped out of bed and sprinted to the door, looking back just in time to see the snake make it's way under my bed. my mom greeted me outside my bedroom door as i hysterically explained to her what had happened. "did it bite you?" "i don't know. i think so. i don't know." i started to cry; i couldn't stop shaking. my brave mommy found a shovel in the garage and stripped my room apart looking for the culprit, while i found the bite mark on my big toe--two red dots. my mom did finally find the snake--and that was the end for him. so with my foot elevated until we decided i wasn't going to die from snake poisoning, we both sat in the living room a little teary eyed and continued to shake.

it still gives me chills just thinking about it. and i start to gag and feel nauseous if i think about it for too long. so i am going to end this entry now. that is my story. what a way to start your day, eh? needless to say, i am not sleeping in my bedroom tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home