Monday, October 04, 2004

past meets present

on my way back from visiting my home in houston, i stopped at texas a&m to visit my sister. we were just going to have lunch and hang out before i continued on my trek back to fort worth. we had fun getting lost and then had fun eating at a very blue cafe and eating veggie sandwiches. as we were leaving, my sister sees one of my old friends from high school and as they begin to chat, jaimie (my sister) tells this old friend to turn around. and as i am waiting in line to get more ice tea i hear my name shouted and immediately know who it is. alisa. it was weird, to say the least. here was this person i hadn't talked to in over a year who had greatly influenced the person i was in high school and for the majority of college. here was the person i had called my best friend for so long. here was the person that i have been trying not to be, working hard not to be. and there she was. and as we followed the normal, friendly, (fake) greetings i thought, "she has know idea who i am now." and that actually made me happy. i have changed so much--for the better, i am sure--and she has no idea. but then, as we talked, she gave me the impression that she has not changed at all. she seems to be the same boy obsessed, critical, (dare i say) bitch she was ever since the day i met her in the eighth grade. and i began to worry, what if i come across as still being the naive, door mat that she used to call her friend, that she used to walk all over, that she used to verbally abuse. what if i come across that way? i guess it shouldn't really matter. i am not that person anymore. and although i am quite sure some of my closest friends now would like to show alisa their gratitude for teaching me her perfected silent treatment and other passive aggressive behavior and i would love to thank her for adding to my self esteem, or lack there of, the truth is that i have moved on, grown up, learned how true friendship works. so whether she sees me that way or not, i know that is not the person i am...or will ever be again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home